With a good picture and an idea of how I wanted the lines to go, I sketched the image I would use onto the gourd with a regular pencil. Then I started painting the pattern with leather dye.
All the gourd crafting books I've read recommend using leather dye to color the gourd. I had no experience with leather dye and bought some of a couple of brands. The first brand had this brown color that looked right for the dark color. This is a product called Dylon Shoe Color, it gave a sort of shiny waxy shine and went on in 2 coats. This was my first try with a coloring product and I had much better results with the red gourd and a line of leather dyes avilable in many shoe repair places, called Fiebing's Leather Dye.
The painting continues. I used a paint brush for this gourd with the water based Dylons (you can see both Dylon's and Fiebing's in this photo). It adhered pretty well. Then I added a lighter color as a stain but did not get the more orangey color value I was aiming for. You can still tell the top from the lighter bottom.